Sunday 24 February 2008

Illustrated Book

I have gone with the illustrated book idea which is based on my cousin Pyrs. I have done allot of research on autism and each case is different. I spent the weekend at Pyrs's house and learned a great deal about how he copes with the condition. We are a close family, but living away for the past 4years means I havn't had that much contact with him, and spending time with him and his Mum was lovely in some ways but quite upsetting in another. Pyrs is such a happy child and has a wonderful life but at the same time autism is stopping him from doing things that I take for granted.
The book is not going to be a documentation about autism but a story which illustrates Pyrs's life and as autism is a huge part of how he lives on a day to day basis I have chosen to pick out certain autistic traits to illustrate.
Autistic Traits:
Hypersensitivity to sounds and certain colours.
Sounds are amplified and he gets very distressed in public places, he especially hates roadworks and electronic machinary.

" People everywhere, talking, wearing bright colours. The talking is like the pounding of horses hooves. The bright colours are blinding, the talking hurts my ears, the bright colours hurt my eyes"

(Quote taken from The National Autistic Society, Parant Book by Jane Shelds.)

Single Attention Span:

Pyrs becomes absorbed by one thing or object and he devotes his full attention to it. Its as if every one around him is transparent or don't exist. He becomes so absorbed that he doesn't respond even if you shout his name. A typical object would be a spinning coin or ball.

Obsessions:
Pyrs has a couple of odd obsessions at the moment but they do change quite regulary. His current obsession is with toothbrushes, he has loads of them. The toothbrushes are of the same style and brand but do vary in coloure. He likes them lined up in his playroom. He wouldn't accept any other style or brand of toothbrush as its not the same, it has to be the same.

Medication
Pyrs has to take prescribed medication on a daily basis which aids the condition.
Routine and Communication
Pyrs hasn't got a fixed routine as it would make the familys life difficult if there was a change.
His Mum communicates with a visual timetable which illustrates whats going to happen now and next. Pyrs must know whats going to happen next so he doesn't become distressed.

I am also going to illustrate his interests and hobbies.

Here's one of my illustrations for the book.
Hypersensitivity To Sound




3 comments:

Kelly Purves said...

fuckin 'ell beth, that illy is really good! there was a grate film on t'other day about a kid with autism.. called 'after thomas' i think

Claire said...

Hi Beth,

Here's the link to that article on dealing with clients for your research in the client proposal project.



http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-6333-5034318.html

Colin Newman said...

Ahoy shipmate!

Yeah, I was banking on the reprographics guys at Mouslecombe campus being able to help me out, but it turns out they they only bind for a4, not a3. Despite the website info implying that they can everything under the sun. At least i think that's what the dude on the phone said, he was pretty non committal about the whole thing. So yeah, looks like I'll be making mine myself too. I've got an old copy of computer arts with a pretty straightforward bookmaking section in, so I'll have to crash on and hope for the best I suppose. Sigh.