Tuesday 11 March 2008

PYRS - My illustrated Book

Since my last post, I have come along way with the progress of my book. I am happy with the look and style of my illustrations. I have experimented allot with the layout and have finally got the pages complete.

I had to figure out exactly who the book was for: Children or Adults?
Was I going to include text in my book?
I decided that I wanted my book to be aimed at both, as this would make my book appeal to a larger audience. The book contains colourful self explanatory illustrations combined with simple text for children, and a descriptive paragraph ranging from 1 - 4 lines which is on the opposite pages for adults.

I found the text for the book the most challenging as I have never had to write a book before especially for children, I had to research allot of children's books and work out what age range the book would be suited to.

Permission to use Quotes
I am really happy as I have gained permission to use some quotes from the National Autistic Society, which are in the adults section of my book. I explained to them what I was doing and they were very supportive as long as they are credited, are shown a copy of my book and i also have to fill out a form online. I have used 4 Quotes all together and I feel they really deliver the message i am trying to get across in my illustrations. I thought it was important to include some facts about autism in the section aimed at adults and I'm very pleased I have.

My intention for the book beyond the D&AD brief is for an educational purpose, and to illustrate autism in a positive way, I feel I have managed to do this and am happy with the result.
I have received some very positive feedback from the tutors and they also gave me some ideas and tips which would improve the book, for example: justification of text, reducing the amount of text as its important to get across my ideas in as short a paragraph as possible as nobody wants to read mounds and mounds of text, as its an illustrated book after all.

Printing
Lee Oliver from the city college printers has been an absolute godsend, I gave him a mammoth task to print my book, I chose a fantastic heavy weight paper to print on. My book contains 16 pages, but because of the adults text on the opposite pages it means that they all have to be double sided, and the printer cant print double sided on the paper weight which I chose, so he had to turn each page manually. Then I wanted him to print the front and back covers on a different type of paper, you know me I've gotta be awkward. I spent all morning with him giving him tasks and he kindly said leave it with him and he gonna get it sorted by tomorrow morning which is great as I can then figure out how I'm gonna bind it. LEGEND!







No comments: