Wednesday 20 February 2008

Three Responses To The D&AD Briefs

Three ideas and responses to the brief:
1) Illustrated book about my cousin Pyrs.
Pyrs is a 6yr old boy who has autism and struggles with social communication, social integration and social imagination. people with autism have said that the world to them is a mass of people, places and events which they struggle to make sense of. Pyrs thinks in pictures, meaning that he communicates mainly with visual timetables, he needs constant reassurance of what is gong to happen next. Pyrs has many autistic traits such as obsessions with odd things and objects, and is frightened of bizarre things like raisons and carkeys. Autism a side, Pyrs is a very happy child and has lots of hobby's like any other child his age.
My intention for the illustrated book is not a documentation about autism, its going to be a story about my cousin who happens to have the condition.
Im not intending to make a dramatic sob story which highlights the devastation caused by autism, Im going to try and get an understanding of how he copes with everyday things. focusing on his like, dislikes, fears and obsessions etc.

2) Illustrated book about myself
A series of illustrations which focus on my fears and anxiety's, childhood and future aspirations.
Place my self in another time and place, how would I fit into society?

3)Create a character based on my autistic cousin Pyrs.
  • Single attention - becomes absorbed by one thing and devotes his full attention to it.
  • Routine - character repeats a routine over and over again, then the routine is broken. What happens?
  • Sensory sensitivity
  • Personality traits and quirks - Curiosity, clumsy, obsessive, fanatical,
  • Create a character inspired by one of Pyrs's toys.
I have discussed my ideas with the tutors and I have decided to go with my first idea of creating an illustrated book about my cousin Pyrs.

No comments: