Monday 31 March 2008

Easter Break Up-Date

Over the Easter break I spent some time working and researching for my dissertation. The subject is on realism in animated films and focusing on how it effects the viewers perception and belief in the narrative. I discovered a book called Understanding Animation by Paul Wells.

Contents

Explains the defining characteristics of animation as a cinematic form.

Outlines different models and methods which can be used to interpret and evaluate animated films.

An explanation of narrative strategies.

An analysis of how comic events are constructed.

A discussion of representation.

The book was intended for the dissertation but its subject matter particularly discussions about anthropomorphism has influenced me towards my exam project.

My ideas are quite vague but I have a couple of starting points which I can begin to work from.
I have researched heavily on the subject of autism and have found it to be a fascinating subject.
I like the idea of breathing life into inanimate objects, children with autism don't look at things in the same way as other children without the condition, they can become terrified of objects and things for no apparent reason. One day an object may seem like a normal harmless thing that they don't pay attention to and don't even notice, another day the child can become very distressed if they are in close proximity to it.

I'm thinking about bringing my book for the d&ad to life in the form of an animation, concentrating on autistic traits particularly sensory sensitivity (vision, hearing, touch). Distorted vision - long flat planes of coloure, amplified sounds -industrial machinery.

I don't think as my self as an animator, I have done some animation in the past and its certainly not something that comes naturally as Im not impressed by the stuff i've created to date, but its definately something I would like to get my teeth into and who knows maybe i'll just make another book its still early days.
I've got a lot to think about, but at least its a start towards my exam project.

No comments: