Saturday 12 January 2008

New Idea?

My new idea remains an interactive installation which involves shadows as I feel I have researched a great deal in this area. My proposed concept is an interactive story installation which illustrates the effects humans have on animal habitats. My idea is inspired by a film I watched about habitat deconstruction and fragmentation. When a habitat is destroyed or tampered with by man, the animals which occupy that habitat have no place to go, so they simply die off.

The installation is an interactive story, an animation is projected onto a screen, virtual shadows or silhouettes of animals in there habitat grazing silently, e.g. deer, birds, rabbits etc. The animals aren’t aware of the viewer at first but as the viewer gets closer they unknowingly set off sensors which triggers sounds and effects the animation. The animals look up and towards the viewer. The closer the viewer gets and setting off more sensors the animals react and become more frightened. The sounds that would be triggered could be for example, crackling sounds like a workman standing on sticks and rustling through bushes, gunshots and machinery. If the viewer gets close to the animation the animals shadows begin to fade away.
The viewer has the choice of how close he or she would like to get to the animals, the types of animals and there movements depends on which sensor has been triggered by the viewer. I believe that the viewer will become aware that they are having an impact on the animals and they may decide not to get any closer or they may decide to walk right up to the animals.
When the viewer walks away from the animation, footprint shadows of an animal follows in the viewers footsteps. I think this would be a nice way to end the installation as animal tracking is a method used by hunters and poachers.
I believe that the set up and technicalities of the installation would be similar to my original idea. A room divided into two by a back projection screen, behind is a projector projecting the animation. Infrared sensors pointing down from the ceiling which trigger sound and changes in the animation e.g., animals looking up.
I’m unsure about how I could get the footprints to follow the viewers as they walk away. The idea of footprints following the viewer was inspired by an interactive installation called case-sandbox by plaplax, they used a system called I-trace but I haven’t had any luck finding any info about this.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Perhaps you could cross reference your search for Itrace with the name of the guy that designed it? IT comes up on google as 'Yasuaki Kakehi'

I like the sound of you installation, it seems quite unique. Perhaps you could have a floor made or lined with that plastic material that alters colour dependant on heat, so that when a viewer treads on it they leave footsteps? Although the footsteps would be constant in that case.